Thursday, July 2, 2009

R/D2

This was the very first time for me to set up a Blog and a RSS Reader. I am surprised that the both of them are quite easy to set up for computer beginners. It is well-organized, systematic and user-friendly. The most important thing about them is that I can customize to fit my needs. I have the control to change and decide the way I want my blog to look even though I have no computer programming skills. For the RSS reader, I can control the information I want, something newspapers and TV couldn’t do. It feels great to be able to control what information I want to receive. This completely contradicts with what Postman said about that information has become a form of garbage. (Look at the last paragraph of my previous post.

I would place Blog in Contrived Experience, Still Pictures and Verbal Symbols on Dale’s Cone of Experience. There are a lot of hands-on activities when you use your Blog. For example, you can customize your blog by searching for the information that you need to change the layout and color. This can become a learning experience especially in my situation. Also when you see other people’s Blog, you are able to imagine from other people’s experiences by reading their Blogs. You could add pictures to make your blog attractive and interesting. You can use verbal symbols to write your opinions and comments, and communicate with other people through the Blog.

RSS Reader will be categorized in various levels depending on what type of information you want to update. It could be Motion Pictures because you can get video updates, Still Pictures from images and pictures, and Verbal Symbols such as a news article. You can also share your RSS with your friends or read your friends updates. RSS Readers allow you to access all the information you want on one page. It’s basically like a one-stop shop; I can find everything I need.

According to Siegel, computer imaginative takes advantage of the computer’s strength if it exploits the strength to achieve its goal. I think Blog and RSS Reader could be computer imaginative. Reading the Amazon example in the article gave me an idea. I am currently a teacher for first graders. I want to give them a social networking experience using Blogs and RSS that they cannot replicate from their real experiences. Because my students are first graders, it is too difficult for them to set up and use Blogs and RSS Reader on their own. What I can do is to set up a class Blog for them and teach them how to use it as a communication tool with schools from other district and prefectures in Japan and even around the world. I will ask class to share what they want such as pictures, photos, essays and videos. Class will work in group or individually to create that information. We can use RSS Reader to share a lot of information, receive updates from other blogs and to interact with each other’s Blog. This is a great way for students to progress their social communication skills and widen their point of view by interacting with students outside of their school through this Blog. The advantages of Blog and RSS Readers are difficult to replace with low-tech tools. They allows you to share much more information and faster and easier process and access will be needed. These technology tools have provided an opportunity for my students to experience something that they cannot do in real life.

7 comments:

  1. Yasue,

    I first want to say that I love that you are teaching in Japan. I think your idea for the blog and RSS feed sounds a lot like the classic Pen Pal activity. When I think of technology solving a problem, I personally struggle to answer than. The most common solution I can think of is ease of use. It is kind of like the sar salesman's response in the Postman article. We use Cruise control and power windows becuase it makes life easier. Similarly, we can use a blog to talk with students in other areas just as we would have written letters and waited for the postal carrier to deliver them.

    In regards to your comment on the Cone of Experience for your blog, can you explain more how it fits with contrived experiences? When I read the article, I understood them to be simulations. Some examples that I was picturing of contrived experiences are flying a plane using a simulator at an air musuem or looking at a a model car. I was tired when I read the article so if you could explain your thought that would be greatly appreciated.

    I am happy to hear that setting up the RSS feed was easy for you. It was a struggle for me.


    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your idea about a class blog that would be shared with other schools. I can see where 1st graders could add pictures of themselves and what they are doing, but how much text would they be able to accomplish? Or would they dictate to you the things they would want on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yasue,
    I liked the idea about a classroom blog for your 1st graders-they are old enough to do this with your help. Do you teach them English? If so wouldn't it be cool to have a US first grade class to dialogue with? This could help them learn English and get to know other 1st graders in another country! :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I really liked your analogy of an RSS reader as a "one stop shop." That is a perfect way to describe! When you set up your blogs, would this be something that they would have to work on at home? I commented before that our school district is quite poor, and for me to assign any homework that needs to be done on the computer wouldn't be fair to most of my kids. However, if you don't have that problem in your area, it is absolutely a great idea. I know if I had that back in 1st grade, I would be really excited to set up a blog. Good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yasue,
    My blog is now up and working. Sorry about the delay. I would like to like blog with other schools too. That would be a great way to use blogs.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yasue, It is exciting to me that though we are in different parts of the world, we are in the same class! I loved your idea of using blogs as a form of technological letter writing or pen pals. I had a pen pal in 4th grade who lived in England and we wrote letters, but it took a long time to hear back since the letters had to travel all that way. I hadn't thought to use blogs this way, but technology makes it possible to write and respond very quickly and that would be very exciting for the kids. Great idea!

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Yasue,
    "This is a great way for students to progress their social communication skills and widen their point of view by interacting with students outside of their school through this Blog." A direct quote from your blog and I agree with you. In first and second grade, I can remember having penpals from other schools in the city. The teachers would have us hand write them out--we did not have computers! (1970) Anyway, I loved this activity. I believe with a blog for your class will enrich their language skills and learn of cultures outside of your own. I would like to know how it works for you.
    Even though I teach high school students, I teach primary school students at church and have been looking for ideas for them to use the computer during these classes.
    See you in class,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete