Thursday, July 9, 2009

R/D3

I think social bookmarking can have great advantages for everyone. It’s a great way to share website information with teachers and also build networks with other teachers. It’s also a great way to find additional websites similar to the ones you have. I can also encourage my students to create a class bookmark where everyone can add to it. It can be websites on topics we discuss in class or sites that students would like to share. A great idea where parents can take advantage of are for teachers to add websites with additional activities or resources. There are a lot of times when parents have asked me for extra activities where they can do with their children at home, especially for students that are falling behind. I can just put up websites where parents can access whenever they want.
Because our school has computers that are shared among teachers, this is a very practical way for us to access our bookmark on whichever computer we are using. Also, there are countless occasions where I asked the staff/administrators about the same questions on where to find some administrative information. If the administrators put all the information and links on the social bookmarking site, this will avoid asking the same questions over and over again. I think this tool is valuable for everyone and best of all; there is a great balance between private and public access.
Since I studied Education in the late 90s, I was taught the 1994 definition which the book referred to. However, I’ve been taking some graduate courses recently, I can relate to the recent definitions. I agree with the textbook that technology has played a major role in the way we plan our lessons. As with these definitions throughout the year, the fundamentals are still the same, it’s the process we use to teach that has changed. One thing I find beneficial is that I can apply this design process outside the classroom. Not only can I apply this to my lesson plans, I can use the design process for training programs or implementing changes for our teachers, administrative staff and also to parents.

3 comments:

  1. A place for parents to find websites that they can use to help their child, especially if they are struggling, is one of the best ideas for social bookmarking. A great time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasue-
    Good thinking! At the end of the year, I heard the first grade teachers talking about "Bordom Buster Boxes." They put together a box of activities- worksheets, games, etc.- to keep students learning and thinking over the summer. Your idea of listing sites to do this was great! Giving parents and students the opportunity to get online and find educational tools would be very useful! -Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yasue,
    I know the definition of Instructional Design and technology is long but I think it encompasses everything now. I too like the idea of using it to design training for the workplace environment. :) Kathy W

    ReplyDelete