Sunday, June 28, 2009

R/D1*

I would like to think about the educational technology that I am using to take this class, the E-learning blackboard or WebCT. If it wasn’t for this technology, I would not be able to take this class from the other side of the world. It allows me to share the same experience as any of my other classmates located near or far. The E-learning blackboard is a technology that creates a learner-centered environment. This is what Reigeluth and Joseph emphasized in their article, “that new information technologies make it possible not just to support the ways in which we have traditionally taught, but to create an entirely new paradigm of education – learner-focus paradigm.” We are given more opportunity to share and discuss with each other compared to the traditional classroom. Using this class as an example, each student is given reading assignments and discussions which we actively participate by sharing and discussing. As a result, students’ understanding level and critical thinking will be enhanced.
It’s true that sometimes we are bombarded by information that is not necessary for me through technology. Postman stated that “we are now suffering from information glut, not information scarcity.” This is best exemplify with Googles. When I search for something using Googles, there are so many search results that overwhelm me. I do not argue that the search results are effective however, the advertisements that I get with the results can be annoying. Postman pointed this out by saying that “Information has become a form of garbage. It comes indiscriminately, directed at no one in particular, disconnected from usefulness. We are swamped by information, have no control over it, and don’t know what to do with it.” I guess it is one of the drawbacks for using technology.

1 comment:

  1. when I think of when Postman said " we are now suffering from information glut, not information scarcity," I think of the curriculum we teach students and not the information presented from technology. I know this was the focus, but I just cant stop thinking that we often are required to teach students a curriculum that is a mile wide and an inch deep. From my experience this leaves the students to wonder what the heck is going on. How it all relates to one another or even more important how it relates to life.

    Due all the GLCEs that we have to teach students often feel "swamped by information, have no control over it, and dont know what to do with it." Although Postman used that quote in regards to technology, many students feel this way about what is being taught to them. Unfortunately, there are many students everywhere that kind of just sit there. Sometimes they even participate and genuinely try, but without directed interventions such as computer assisted learning programs they are not able to recover the basic skills they are missing to see the big picture.

    ReplyDelete