All three fields of business, P-12, and higher education are struggling to accept new changes following ID according to chapter 18, 21, and 22. Although change is positive, when it comes time for change, nobody wants to put effort to change their routines or the ways to work even when it doesn’t directly affect them. Brenda Litchfield, Faculty Development (United States) who worked at higher education told us that ‘The hardest part of being a faculty developer is getting faculty to come to workshop (p.228).’ This also occurs in the other two fields as well.
Applying ID is time consuming and heavily resource dependent. Reigeluth and Duffy warned us that ‘quick fixes almost always fail (p.214).’ Financial problem comes up too. However, ID seems to work best in business area and the least in P-12 among the three fields. It is because company could afford to apply ID. Even companies are trying to work on ‘reducing design cycle time’ and ‘enhancing training effectiveness and effiecy’ now. It proves ID can reach its potential when there is enough financial support.
Economy affects ID’s needs in the three fields too. In my previous job, we have fewer customers because of the economical situation. To compete with their competitors, they have to provide more training focusing on customer services. They had researched and compared themselves with competitors trying to change the image of the company along with the trend. We as an employee had training to develop better communication skills and cosmetic changes to improve our company image. Brenda Litchfield mentioned that ‘students are becoming real consumers these days and often have several choices of junior colleges, four-year colleges, and universities both in town and online (p.227)’ in higher education. Some educational institutions are competing for students similar to companies in other industries. Even now, working in an International school, we are constantly competing with other private and public schools in the area.
What I believe that my elementary school can learn from the contexts is ‘Technology-based training.’ Like I mentioned in my reflection before, it is common that we have workshops and trainings in other schools in Japan. All teachers has fixed schedule in my school, and it is hard to cover lessons for each other when s/he goes to training to some other school. Unfortunately we don‘t have a substitute teachers to cover for us. If we can have connections with several schools and get training at own school, it will be more convenient and efficient for teachers. The more training we get, the faster we achieve our school goals.
Shaft ganzer film deutsch stream 2019 komplett
6 years ago
Wow, Yasue! I didn't realize you don't have substitute teachers to cover for you when you go for training. Is this true of all schools in Japan (no substitutute teachers)?
ReplyDeleteIn my experience, faculty & staff don't come to meetings/instruction because it is useless! When the instructors become more effective at teaching and stimulating us... I honestly feel faculty would attend the workshops. I know teachers have been very receptive to me giving short "how-to" seminars! -Suzy
ReplyDeleteYasue,
ReplyDeleteI agree that ID seems to work better in the business world than in the P-12 and higher education. But as I have said numerous times its about the money. I fear that if higher ed. doesn't invest in ID than students will choose schools on line like the one we are in because quite frankly most of my profs were boring! If I had a choice way back when I might have made a different decision. All teachers regardless of what they teach should be supportive and inspiring to student and include relevent technology to spice up the curriculum. I think teachers should be more about being a facilitator anyway. Also even when you do have a sub to attend training it is so hard to prepare plans and many times the training isn't worth the hassles. I hardly ever took a sick day or training day because it was so hard to be gone even for a day! :) KathyW