Wednesday, July 22, 2009

R/D8

After reading chapter 21, I wonder we have this kind of systems in Japan, especially GSTE and SUTE. I am sure that we do but I am not sure that it is working well here. I think Japanese schools are more incline to change. Like they say, if it’s not broken, why fix it. I am not familiar with this level of education (organization) but I think it is very important to have a concrete foundation to provide good educational opportunities to students, and I should be familiar with this process as a member of school. From my experience from working at different schools, the district and school policies affect a lot to teachers and students. So I think changing and adapting new ideas are very important in education.
After reading about GSTE, I feel that our school is applying very similar process of GSTE. My school is brand new (started in last April) and still in the process of organizing the school systems and curriculum. My school is the first international school following the Japanese curriculum with International school standards. We are getting all the stakeholders involved such as political leaders, local company executives, teachers, principals, parents and community leaders in the decision making process. They all form different kind of groups to decide what is best for our student's education. I feel that this is easier to be said than done. When we get so many different kinds of people with different perspectives, it tends to be very difficult to make decisions. It can also take longer. Even with our situations, implementing changes can take months or years. Another thing we have to worry about with this system is cost. The cost can be quite overwhelming when we apply GSTE.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about budget cuts in Japan, but in the US things are being cut everywhere. I'm a little worried about my job as a music teacher because there is only one music teacher in a school or 1 for 2 schools... and some districts don't hold music as an ESSENTIAL subject. We'll see how things go, but I'm all for small, slow changes if the kids are still learning and I have a job! -Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I think it's great that you have so many stakeholders wanting to be involved in deciding what is best for a student's education. Hopefully, they think beyond finances, to what will help the teachers prepare the students for the future. I can see where things can get bogged down in the process. I am on a board for my choir. The board is about 20% of the choir, so when we have meetings there are 20 people who want to express their opinion! Consensus is fairly quick for us, it's just that there are times when I wish people that it is unnecessary for everyone to explain (sometimes in great detail) their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yasue,

    I am so glad to hear that someone in our class is experienced in this area. Now that you mention it, this model does seem to be what you would also do to start a school. I would be interested to know more about the international standards and how they compare the the Michigan standards.

    For an undergraduate class, I read a book called "The Teaching Gap" as much as i hated having to read another book for that class, I sure refer to it alot. It compared the US, Germany and Japan in their teaching of mathematics. One of the key things I remember about Japans teaching is that they do lesson studies that can take upwards of a year to perfect just a single days lesson. That time commitment if it happens with your school is amazing. I hope they put the same effort into the structure and mission of your school so it can be equally successful.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yasue, It is very exciting to be part of a new school because generally, all teachers, administrators, students and parents are excited and supportive. Last year was the first year that my district had a dual-language elementary. I think we(teachers) would've loved having more input in the way the school functions. Since it is part of a larger district, it adopted district goals and ideals. I think it would've been a great chance to fully implement GSTE or SUTE methodologies to make the school as successful as possible. I think it is wonderful that teachers at your school get to be part of the planning process. I hope everything turns out very successfully for you and your school.

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yasue,
    How fortunate to be able to design your school with an international flair! It doesn't matter really how long it takes as long as its for the greater cause- the children! I would like to know what an international curriculum really is-do you have any references or sites I can go to!? :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete