Wednesday, July 22, 2009

R/D 7

After reading about ‘enhancing training effectiveness and efficiency’ in chapter 18, I remember the training at my previous job. When I worked at an office, we often had training sessions when we have new products or new methods to improve customer service. My previous company has branches all over the country and it is not easy for all the employees to participate in workshops that are usually held at the head office. Sometimes, we used online training or video conferencing. This was very effective and efficient because the company could reduce the time and cost of commuting to the head office. This also allows more employees to participate in the training who normally could not attend due to their busy schedule. The company could maximize the effectiveness of training. I was one of the employees that really benefited from this new type of training.
Thinking about educational training in Japan, we rarely use technology-based training. Teachers have long commutes to other schools on their own time to get training. People often perceive Japan as being one of the leaders in technology. However, in the Education industry, many school districts in Japan are still very far behind in regards to technology especially in rural areas.
In education we should get more trainings and workshops. My school uses educational technology tools in the classroom. I would really appreciate that if I can get more training to enhance my performance and teaching methods.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasue, you mention that Japan is often perceived as a leader in technology but not always in Education. Why do you think this is the case? For the United States it comes down to money. Do you think this is a possible reason that teachers and students don't see the best technology has to offer?

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that video conferencing is a great tool for training. An added benefit is that the people receiving the training can learn from each other, too!
    I never would have guessed that Japan was behind in the use of technology in education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yasue,
    I am surprised you didn't use much technology in training-as you said I just figured Japan was more advanced! I also thought education was better in Japan-not so? Why? thanks for sharing :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete